Re: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question

To: kb9cry@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question
From: Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:39 -0500
I believe the word "optimum" should be replaced with "sufficient".
My experience with verticals tells me that 100 radials works much better than 60, especially when concentrated in certain directions.
Don
N8DE

<snip>

kb9cry@comcast.net wrote:
I would agree 5 radials just won't cut it and your
theory of impedance changing during rain is probably right on.
Also your planned number of radials of 12 - 24 is also low.
The best bet is 60 1/4 wavelength radials but any number of
shorter lengths will work.  My experience, with good loamy
and clay soils, is 45 is the minimum required.
I'd plan to install around that many if you can; the 5 you
have now is not enough.  Commercial stations usually use up
to 120 radials but extensive tests by amateurs have determined

that 60 is optimum.

Check this list's archives for past discussions. Phil KB9CRY