[TowerTalk] Re: Bulkhead Source & Ground Rod.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Bulkhead Source & Ground Rod.
From: btakacs@nccw.net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:13:07 -0500

I just went through that with the bulkhead. I ended up taking one of the panels out of my basement window and replace the vinyl window frame with a frame made up from treated wood with a 1/8 inch aluminum panel in place of glass and then drilled it and put the coax feed thru and rotor plug.

I have a couple questions - I run the coax from the tower through 70 feet of 4 inch sewer pipe with U shaped capped ends by the tower and the basement window. On a crank up tower the feed line is always looped at some point to where it feeds in the pipe at the tower end. It would be nice to have the coax exit the tower at right angles but that is hard to do. Should the lightning arrestors be placed before it goes into the pipe or should they be at the end where the bulkhead is and into the house??

What is the difference in the grounding between galvanized and copper clad ground rod? The galvanized is about half the price of copper clad ground rods at home depot.

Bill/K8VP