Re: [TowerTalk] My New 40M Antenna

To: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My New 40M Antenna
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:49:22 -0500
At 05:01 PM 12/18/03 -0600, Mark Beckwith wrote:
Real World Lesson: though it seems like the elements should lift above the
plane of the pull rope by an amount equal to the angle of the tiller (to the
elements), you may have to have the tiller at a greater angle than you want
the elements to rise.

I had to reset the tiller about 3 times to get the element tips high enough.
This was complicated by an adjacent (i.e. too close) tree I had to tram
OVER, and, of course, the fact that I was doing it alone in the dark.

I just re-read that and concluded that I must actually be as dumb as I look.

Haven't we all been there? The mechanics of a tram are quite sporty. If you put enough tension on the tram wire to reduce the sag so that this problem Mark describes doesn't occur, you're really putting a lot of strain on the mast, hence the possible need of a backstay. If you don't, you may almost not be able to get the tiller at a radical enough angle to get the element tips where they need to be. Catch 22.

73, Pete N4ZR Happy Holidays Check out the World HF Contest Station Database at www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm