Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun
From: "Tom Champlin" <w0hh@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:08:32 -0600
Well, for instance, I just bought a Big SteppIR vertical. The company
recommends a balun in some cases. They said it was to keep the RF from
coming down the coax. They also sell this balun. Not being a purist, I often
like to use the term balun meaning an RF choke as well as a 1:1 matching
device. Balanced to unbalanced.
I normally just use a string of large ferrite beads at the feed point. I
haven't modeled this with EZNEC yet, but I would bet that the radials will
couple some RF to the coax shield, hence my question as to where to place
the beads, balun, or whatever one wants to call it.

Best regards,

Tom W0HH