Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:46:02 EST
In a message dated 12/19/03 8:00:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mchilkuri@kasnet.com writes:
>>I wound
the coax around a 3.5" dia 12" former at the point the feeder enters the
shack - Viola......it cured all my RFI problems.<<

I hated baluns after I fried Hi-Q balun, which stunk for years (fried ferrite
rod). They don't like high SWR, like accidentally firing kW into it on wrong
band.

The safest is the coax choke as above, especially if you need multi frequency
coverage. For monoband "baluning" I prefer quarter wave bazooka stubs. They
serve as a filters, they widen the bandwidth of the antenna, nothing to burn,
nothing to saturate.

As far as matching low impedance verticals to 50 ohms, I use few turns of
copper tubing coil wound on a beer bottle, connect it between the ground/radial
point and bottom of radiator. Find 50 ohm impedance point between the gnd and
up the coil. Remove unnecessary turns and you have solid DC connection to
ground for static discharge and foolproof matching with nothing to burn. The
loss
(little bit of "base loading") isn't any worse than any other tricks.

Yuri, K3BU