Re: [TowerTalk] Personal tram tips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Personal tram tips
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:29:35 -0600
Regarding K4OJ's tram tips, I couldn't agree with Jim more on his post.

I don't use a gin pole (for tramming), and I usually tram to get the yagi
boom to the tower a little below the attachment point, then just rig a lift
rope at that point to finish the job.  The lift rope gives you very nice
control of the height if you're bolting the boom to a bracket that is
already in the place you want it on the side of the tower or on the mast.
It is REAL HARD to get the antenna to land in the right place for bracketing
using the tram alone.  I gave up on this a long time ago and just figure in
the additional lift rig and that way I don't even bother to get more than
"close" with the tram.

Like Jim, I use my pickup truck as the bottom end of the tram.  You have to
be careful and use common sense, because attaching a running truck to your
tower with a steel cable *could* get you in trouble.  I won't elaborate.

Also, like Jim, this system is so slick that I have amassed dedicated tram
parts which just lay on the ground out of the way most of the time.  Steve
is right that tramming is one of those things that takes hours to get set up
perfectly, and then about 10 minutes to get that big yagi up and bolted.

If you've never lifted a load by using a second pulley at the BOTTOM of your
tower and pulling horizontally, you're missing one of the pleasures of being
Smarter Than The Apes.  It is a sophisticated idea, but it sure is slick.

(Personally I might use a second truck to pull the lift rope, but I don't
want to get into a debate about the relative safeness or unsafeness of this
method. I know some readers will blast me for even bringing it up, and tell
us how great the potential for danger is, and all that.  It's a choice we
all get to make ourselves.  Yes, it can be dangerous and disastrous.)

And if it hasn't been said lately, mountaineering equipment makes great
antenna rigging parts - REI has got the coolest split pulleys down to a
really affordable price, carabiners, slings, etc.

What did we ever do without mountaineering hardware?  If you're someone who
doesn't understand what I'm saying then you are unenlightened and you should
visit

http://www.rei.com/online/store/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&storeId=8000&categoryId=4500697

And figure out if they can still ship in time for Christmas.  But not before
surfing the 'biners and slings too.

And no matter how much of this stuff you buy, you'll figure out a way to use
every single piece of it each time you lift.  It is just too cool.

This thread about trams (and trolleys) has been excellent!

Mark, N5OT