[TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259s

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259s
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:22:38 -0500
The tips I've read so far are great - and I use them...

One more for foam dielectric coax:

Do the braid first, then let the assembly cool completely, a LONG time,
before doing the center conductor.  How long?  20 minutes or more..
When foam dielectric has been heated from the outside, and is then heated
from the inside is when the center conductor starts wandering around really
badly...If you are lucky you wind up with a short.  It you are unlucky, you
wind up with a weak point that will arc over and short in the middle of your
next contest at 3AM, per Murphy.

Hal
N4GG