Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business

To: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing is risky business
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:00:53 +0000
And if I may also add couple of other categories.

There are those hams who :

4.  Do it the right way, in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations, and
those who do not.

How many installations have you seen where the ham cheapened the installation
or has overloaded the tower/mast?

5.  Who perform the annual tower inspection and have replaced old/worn/rusted
parts in accordance with good tower use recommendations & requirements.

How many installations have you seen where tower inspections/maintenance has
been neglected?

In the club I belong to many of the members are getting on in years and can't
climb.  I've volunteered to help some of them out and quite a few installations
really scare me; I won't go up if I don't think it's safe.  They will have
quite a problem on their hands when it comes time to perform any kind of real
work/or take the installation down.  Then all those years of neglect or being
cheap may come back to haunt them; unless they have really good homeowners
insurance and they let God do the work for them.  Towers are serious
installations and require the proper time & money or else one may be putting
their life in jeapordy.  Do it the right way the first time and perform the
required maintenance and tower installations can stay up for many years and be
taken down safely and securely.
And if you're not ready or equipped to do this, then string wires up in trees
and put in phased ground mounted verticals and be safe.
Phil  KB9CRY