[TowerTalk] coiled antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] coiled antennas
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:55:25 +0000
Chris,

Coiled antennas (a.k.a. slinkys, a.k.a. giant rubber ducks) were advertized in the ham magazines around 20 years ago. Someone made them commercially, I forget whom. I have not seen them advertized in a long time. They seemed to be somewhat popular for awhile with folks looking for something that would resonate at long wavelengths in a limited space, i.e. indoors across an apt. living room/dining room & fastened to the ceiling. I heard once that it was not a good idea to use these things for any sort of high power--you'd want to limit yourself to no more than exciter power with one because of the QRO voltage peaks along the coils, arcing, setting drywall on fire, and the field/flux making everything nearby go haywire. Outside I expect they'd droop a lot and swing around in the wind unless you ran taught dacron through them to hold them up.
I've just given you the extent of my slinky knowledge.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ