[TowerTalk] Help Please

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help Please
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:46:43 -0600
Hello:

This is perhaps off topic, but I am hoping to gain some direction from you
learned individuals for my particular problem. I didn't really know how to
even title the subject. I guess the frustration levels are high !

I am running a long Carolina Windom on 80M and 160M. It has been quite a
performer for me - I need just AK for 160WAS. The setup is a FT-1000MP Mk V
feeding a Alpha amp. The SWR read by the meter on the Mark V as well as a
Ten-Tec tuner after the amp is close to 1:1 on 1.825 MHz. But when I place
the amp to operate, the SWR at the transceiver is >3:1, but the TT tuner
still shows ~ 1.3:1. This amp, the 87A has tuned circuits for the input and
I attempted to reprogram this setting - but to no avail. I can't seem to get
the de-tune situation off of the transceiver.

The antenna is a Radio Works long 160 windom. Similar detuning at the
transciever is also noted on 80M but not as severe: without the amp, 1.6:1.
But with the amp, 2:1 at 3.525 MHz. One of my thoughts was possibly the
balun at the antenna could be giving me trouble.

I'm pretty confused over this. The upper bands with the beams do great and
the only time I have the TT tuner engaged is with 12M and 17M.

I've been meaning to get on with my shunt feed of my tower and at least my
posts will be on topic.

Thanks for anybody's help,

73, Jamie
WB4YDL