Re: [TowerTalk] Certification to climb towers?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Certification to climb towers?
From: Alan Beagley <AB2OS@att.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:49:58 -0500
But does that mean that if I want to hire "Fred, the guy who does the tower work for all the hams around here" to put up my tower, he has to be certified? What if he isn't? What liability do I have?

-=-
Alan AB2OS

On 02/06/04 06:16 pm Jim Lux put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

I went to a club meeting last night where the speaker was in the
business of Tower and Antenna Installation. He said that the OSHA rules
have changed over that past few years and that everyone who climbs
towers needs to be certified to climb and and must use the proper body
harness climbing belts and locking belt clips.

He also said that if there is an accident, that OSHA WILL come and
inspect the Tower accident. If the climber is not certified then the
insurance companies won't pay any claims.

OSHA is "Occupational" safety and health administration, and only deals with workplace things. You're perfectly free to do hideously dangerous things on your own, just not at work. It's hard to say how OSHA could come look at your mangled body on your mangled tower, unless there was some "workplace" aspect to it.

Insurance is a different matter.. that's between you and the insurance company. If you were a business, I'm sure that your insurance company would require that you have all your workers trained and appropriately qualified and equipped, or, at the very least, had procedures in place to do so (i.e. if an employee goes off and climbs the tower without the safety gear, contrary to training and instruction and your procedures, you might still be covered, at least for liability).