Re: [TowerTalk] new tower for W0RTT

To: ah3c@frii.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new tower for W0RTT
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:33:16 EST
In a message dated 2/14/04 2:44:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, ah3c@frii.com
writes:

> I just got word back that Rohn is changing hands and their current delivery
> schedule is worrysome.  Can someone help me find a suitable tower?

    Do you want a Rohn clone (Clohn?!?) equivalent or just another guyed
tower? There are several companies who have jumped into the vaccuum of Rohn 25
&
45 and several of them are directly compatible.

>  I was
> planning on Rohn 45, 90' on a 5' base buried in concrete.  Top of tower
will
> be SteppIR 4-el (9.5 cu ft wind load) and 2 element 40 about 6-8 feet above
(
> not selected yet).  I would estimate total wind load will be around 20 sq
ft.
>  I have selected the heavy duty Yaesu rotator for this using a 12' steel
mast.
>    On the side of the tower will be another StepIR 4-el about 33' down the
> tower, just above the 2nd set of guy wires.  I was planning on using
> Philistran for the top set of guys and steel for the lower two guys.  Texas
> Towers has been very helpful to me in selecting these items and has most of
> them in stock, except for the tower.  Does anyone on this reflector have
any
> ideas where I might find the tower and related parts?.  I have already
> sourced the steppIR antennas.

    Is this for your ridge top QTH? Larimer County is an 85 MPH windspeed
zone so you'll need something substantial. Ninety feet of 45G is rated at about
22 sq.ft. @ 90 MPH so that should be plenty.

>  Maybe a tri-ex equivalent setup?

    Har har. You'll never get a crank-up to be rated at 20 sq.ft. at 85 MPH
for a ham budget. A guyed tower is your best - and cheapest - bet.

    I'm a dealer for the Nello Tower Co. 45G equivalent.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
888-833-3104