[TowerTalk] Ham IV Sticking Solenoid problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham IV Sticking Solenoid problem
From: Steve Gilbert <g3oag@steve.treblig.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:00:42 +0000
After refurbishing my Ham IV rotator with a new potentiomer and new ball bearings, (the old ones had gone black as damp had gone into the casing), the one problem that remains is the fact that the brake solenoid and armature seem to have become magnetized, so that when the brake is released and there is no current, the armature does not release. I tightened up the return springs, but this made no difference. The only way around this seems to be to place a thin non-magnetic layer, like a layer of PVC tape across the pole piece of the solenoid, so that the magnetic circuit is broken. The armature then goes back every time, BUT the solenoid tends to buzz !!! Any great ideas???..Steve, G3OAG