[TowerTalk] Tribander interaction with XM-240

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tribander interaction with XM-240
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:49:06 -0500
I've been offered a good deal on an XM-240, but am concerned by reports in the archives of interaction with the 15-meter performance of tribanders mounted nearby. Unless I want to go through replacing the mast I now have, I'm limited to about 6-foot spacing. Has anyone done this successfully? Has anyone tried grounding the center of the reflector (effectively the only difference, electrically, from the 40-2CD)? Nothing in the archives that I could find other than speculations that the reflector was insulated to somehow improve the pattern, hence grounding it would undo that. I'll need to ground it electrically on 160m anyhow, to protect it when I shunt feed the tower, so a simple ground strap would be attractive.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm