Re: [TowerTalk] Portable operation with beam

To: "Tower Talk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>,"James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable operation with beam
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:38:59 -0500
At our large W3AO Field Day (50 transmitter category last year), we take all
our 20-10M yagis with the elements intact.
We put them on a fullsize pickup with ladder rack (mine typically), with a flag
tied/taped on the end of the longest (20M) elements in the back.  Bundled all
together with booms they make a pretty rigid package for transport.  Not
bundled, the elements bounce a lot and bang together, an unnecessary annoyance
out in front of your windshield -- easy to avoid it by bundling them together
good.  40M elements we do remove the element tips, so we have the center of the
element and two tips for each element, all bundled together like the others,
and it doesn't take more than 20 minutes or so to put the whole 40M beam
together.  We use 2-element Cushcrafts on 40.  On the other bands W3LPL three
element yagis.
Not having to put elements together on site definitely saves time and effort.
73 - Rich, KE3Q