Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Grounding Advice

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Grounding Advice
From: rk <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:10:44 -0500
Some schools of thought say a vertical pointy thing at the top bleeds off a charge before it gets big enough to jump. Got such, as to start driving toward one 300'SS, every summer storm, 'till we stuck a 1", 10' rod at the top. Not had to put the smoke back in anything since. Left the melted coax, stuck to the wall, as a reminder.
Dave NØRQ wrote:
Very good, Bill.  I think you'll like it.
I put up a 64' (62' actually, I think) Trylon T600 a couple years ago.
Story is at www.qsl.net/n0rq , in case you're interested.

For grounding, I think you're in good shape.  I'm not sure I'd do the
ground rod at the top, though.  Something way up top that is really
pointed like that does indeed act as a lightning attractor -- I'd just
as soon not have anything up there pointed straight up.  However,
I'm not a expert, and I'm sure others can give you better advice.

Mine is grounded with #2 tinned copper attached to each leg, and each
wire goes to its own ground rod, and the 3 rods are connected in a circle,
and then there are wires that go out (like spokes) to 4 more rods.  All
attachments to rods were made with Cadweld -- no ground clamps that
can loosen up!

73 & enjoy!

Dave NØRQ
n0rq-1@dfwair.net