Re: [TowerTalk] Protect ant......painting anyone?

To: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Protect ant......painting anyone?
From: <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:28:11 -0000
Mark,
Sounds like a good idea with the tape, let us know how it does.

Sometime back I remember reading a thread from somone that cleaned his
aluminum antenna and then applied water based exterior latex enamel house
paint. He said after after 10 years it needed sanding and touchup in a few
places but the alumimum was just like new underneath.   I
keep thinking about this idea.  We spend almost as much for our antennas as
a new rig in some cases.  I would rather do spot paint repairs as needed
periodically rather than replacing the antenna (and spend the money on
equipment)  The aluminum corrodes pretty badly, especially here at my QTH in
Calif.  I did a search thru past threads and haven't found any info yet.
Has anyone had any experience with painting antennas ?

Bob
K6UJ