[TowerTalk] Grounding near patio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding near patio
From: "Craig Sande" <craig.sande@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:33:49 -0700
I'm making plans to install a self-supporting crank up tower at the inside
angle of an L-shaped ranch home.  I have an adequate area to dig the hole for
the base, but am not sure what is the the best way to ground the tower.  The
tower will have the home's foundation surrounding 270 degrees of the tower and
an old concrete patio surrounding the other 90 degrees.  I am planning to tile
over the old patio at some point, so if I cause cosmetic damage to install
ground radials/rods, it will eventually be covered up.

I was thinking of having a concrete cutter create slots leading to a round
hole(s) for the ground radials and grounding rods.  The defect would then be
covered with mortar prior to resurfacing the entire patio.  I'm just not sure
how many radials and ground rods to install and what I can do for a ground
towards the house (which surrounds the remaining 270 degrees).  Can I go
through the foundation and try to install ground rods in the crawl space
(temporary hole in flooring would be required), or is there another way to go
that someone could suggest.

Thanks,

Craig, AE7I