Re: [TowerTalk] house bracketing 25G

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] house bracketing 25G
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:30:34 -0400
One thing I'd add for replacing tower brackets with something *really solid
is to build an        "A-Frame" out of one inch square steel tube.  You can
get it in everything from about 16 gauge to on the order of 3/16ths inch
wall which is heavy.

The easiest is to make a mock up of wood first and then cut the steel to
size.  If you can weld it really helps, but it can be bolted together.

*Most* towers have the single leg on the house side and the two legs away
from the house as a pivot, or hinge.

There are several ways it can be done, but I would "U-bolt" a straight piece
across each face of the tower toward the house.  This means they will cross
about an inch or two from the single leg.  Cary them on up to the side of
the house.

At the house two routes are presented.  Have a "foot" plate welded on the
end of each piece and lag bolt it to the "face plate" such as a 2 X 10 or 2
X 12. (don't forget the backing plate on the inside).    If the tower is 18
inches from the house this gives a healthy foot print against the face
plate.  You can also have a piece of tube welded from the end of each
straight piece with a "foot plate" on each end.  Just remember there will be
about an inch and a half off set due to the pieces crossing next to the
tower.

Instead of crossing you can cut one side (leg) and have it welded so the
whole thing forms an X with one side much shorter than the other with the
tower legs "U-bolted" to the shorter legs.

I hope I made this clear. There is a lot of room for improvisation, but if
need be I can put up a simple drawing.  The shorter the tower the less the
wind load and the lighter the construction can be and the less strain on the
end (or side) of the house.

The wider foot print, heavier material, and much wider foot print makes this
a very rigid attachment.  Just be careful that it's not made too heavy and
that it is attached to a well fortified area.  (wall plate on the inside
across the studs and surface plate on the outside for the most strength.)
If it goes it'll take the whole end of the house with it.  Unfortunately
I've seen more than one home where it would do just that.  The tower would
be serving as a reinforcement for the end of the house instead of the other
way around.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com