Re: [TowerTalk] antenna impedence and ground impedence??

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna impedence and ground impedence??
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:02:40 -0400
> dipole and that of its model match.  This sounds like an approach that
> would largely overcome both the inhomogeneity problem and the frequency
> problem.

I would guess that's a worthwhile thing to include as long as your radials
are in the same position as the test antenna. Once they are in a different
position (height, direction, etc) all bets are off unless you checked that
location. It still doesn't mean the loss or FS is correct just because
impedances agree.

The real issue here that keeps getting put aside is what a person CAN do.

Virtually all of us can NOT accurately measure coil Q, the coil programs
I've tried are far off from actual measurements when reactance is
significant.

Virtually no one can measure localized soil conditions at radio frequencies,
and if we could measure it I'd bet there isn't anyone with the time,
equipment, program, and patience to model it (and we don't know how well the
program is verified in that application).

This is just a bunch of wasted discussion because it would be much faster
and more accurate to measure what you want to know........field strength.
There is little point in saying something can be done and/or is easy to do
and describing how to do it when none of us can do it because of the
enormous difficulty and special hardware required.

73 Tom