[TowerTalk] Re: Town Code Definition Conundrum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Town Code Definition Conundrum
From: "Doug Grant" <k1dg@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:16:11 -0000
> Got home and started digging in.  Well, I think that this was written for
> only commercial users.  In the definition section, it reads that a
> "TELECOMMUNICATIONS FACILITY" is:
>
> "Towers and/or antennas and accessory structures, together used in
> connection with the provisions of cellular telephone service, personal

etc.

I recently encountered nearly identical language in another town's Land Use
Regulations.

They defined "Wireless Communications Facility" as being a facility that
"...provides...wireless communications..."

A close look at the rest of the definitions included the definition of
"Wireless Communications": "...as defined in the Federal Telecommuncations
Act of 1996...".

A long bout of Web surfing to find the correct part of the Act and
subsequent codification into law yielded the following:

Here is the relevant part of the "Act"" (Section 704)

SEC. 704. FACILITIES SITING; RADIO FREQUENCY EMISSION STANDARDS.
            (a) NATIONAL WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS SITING POLICY- Section
          332(c) (47 U.S.C. 332(c)) is amended by adding at the end the
          following new paragraph:
                `(7) PRESERVATION OF LOCAL ZONING AUTHORITY-
<deleted>

`(C) DEFINITIONS- For purposes of this paragraph--
                        `(i) the term `personal wireless services' means
                      commercial mobile services, unlicensed wireless
                      services, and common carrier wireless exchange access
                      services;
                        `(ii) the term `personal wireless service
facilities'
                      means facilities for the provision of personal
wireless
                      services; and
                        `(iii) the term `unlicensed wireless service' means
                      the offering of telecommunications services using duly
                      authorized devices which do not require individual
                      licenses, but does not mean the provision of
                      direct-to-home satellite services (as defined in
                      section 303(v)).'.

Clearly this does not apply to amateur radio, which is defined elsewhere in
Title 47.

73,

Doug K1DG