RE: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Hardware

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Hardware
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:37:38 -0000
On submarines we used simple graphite lubricants on stainless parts to
prevent galling.  A similar compound used to be available as a lock
lubricant though I haven't checked for it recently.  You should note
that once ss parts are assembled it is probably too late to try to
lubricate them to take them apart, the galling often happens as the part
is tightened so the damage is already done.  A penetrating lube may help
a bit in preventing further damage when the parts are disassembled but
they still should not be reused.... so my approach has been to use a
bigger wrench and just twist the bolt off.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

Steel