Re: [TowerTalk] BPL article.... amazing....!!!

To: <wcmoore@verizon.net>, <georgemain@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BPL article.... amazing....!!!
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:14:52 -0700
At 04:53 PM 4/26/2004 -0500, wcmoore@verizon.net wrote:
So if BPL is a Part 15 system then why cannot experimenters use
BPL type equipment for communications on the power lines
as long as the experimenter's gear complies with Part 15 requirements? Since they both will be Part 15 device users, can
either one claim a dominant position?

Part 15 unlicensed doesn't mean total free for all. It's different than low powered experimental use. A mfr has to either test or certify that the equipment meets the limits in Part 15. Among other things it depends on whether it's an unintentional (BPL) or intentional radiator (your ham rig). Part 15 isn't hugely complex, but there are a lot of facets, so you kind of have to go through it to figure out if your experimental widget falls under Part 15, and if so, which flavor of testing, certification, or what-have-you is required. This whole process is called "authorization".

You don't need authorization if you are performing "testing to determine compliance", however they're pretty specific that this means lab equipment kind of testing, not "customer acceptance" or "market testing"

However, if mfr A has a Part 15 device and mfr B has a Part 15 device, neither has priority.

As far as homebuilt devices goes (section 15.23):
(a) Equipment authorization is not required for devices that are not marketed, are not constructed from a kit, and are built in quantities of five or less for personal use.

That means: no web site advertising the design; no making up kits a'la TAPR, etc., etc.

Section (b) goes on to say that testing isn't required, but "good engineering practice" is, and you need to follow the operating rules of 15.5 (accept interference, don't cause interference, etc.)

The flip side of this is since we are more and more often
restricted from erecting antennae due to deed restrictions, local ordinances and grousing neighbors, can we use the AC Power
system as a transmission line and antenna? 100 watts on the
AC line? Maybe 1500 watts? I know the XYL would be thrilled to see me take down the dipoles and simply plug into the wall socket.
It would be a more esthetically acceptable solution in the view of many.

A fascinating idea... I can see putting an RF choke on the incoming power line at your panel and putting an RF coupler to the "line" side of the choke.

You're not in Part 15 territory here, but Part 97, since you're licensed, and an intentional radiator to boot. I suspect that, if read carefully, your power company probably has rules in their tariff that prohibit you from doing this (either in some form of prohibition against excessive inteference from your loads, or against reverse power (really intended to be line frequency, as in backfeeding a generator, but probably broadly written).

They also currently use PLC (power line carrier) techniques to turn user loads on and off, and your HF signals might interfere.

Casually looking through Southern California Edison's Tariff.... http://www.sce.com/NR/sc3/tm2/pdf/Rule2.pdf (page 9) Rule 2, E. Interference with Service:

"3. Any customer who superimposes a current of any frequency upon any part of his electrical system, other than the current supplied by SCE, shall, at his expense, prevent the transmission of such current beyond his electrical system."

Even more gory details at:
http://www.sce.com/NR/rdonlyres/eksfg5hozof4g7dqwcxejdl4angzvc2ebgyrugxwhfccumvzgrcgqfxgtozacp6pmi4pfqpg2dtt35ipjx6hftqev2h/esr_March_05_2004.pdf

Chuck WD4HXG