Re: [TowerTalk] FCC's NPRM on BPL

To: k2qmf@juno.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FCC's NPRM on BPL
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:32:22 EDT
Here's mine for those who need a place to start:

"Even minimal signals (less than 100mw) in the HF bands can travel hundreds
or thousands of miles.  This raises several issues with BPL.

The radio spectrum is governed by international treaty.  How do we implement
a system that potentially infringes on radio services in other countries?  If
we ignore our obligations under those treaties, how do we protect our spectrum
from their transmissions?

Since transmissions travel hundred or thousands of miles, how do we identify
and mitigate interference to essential services?  How will the FCC sort out
BPL transmissions from multiple sources traveling from systems hundreds or
thousands of miles from the receiver?  What will be the cumulative effect of
hundreds of multiple BPL signals covering on a receiver?

If BPL transmissions (either direct or propagated) cause an airplane to lose
communication, and it crashes, or an emergency public service to miss a call,
who bears the responsibility?  Can the FCC assure the public this won't
happen?  What if you are wrong?

There is a reason every other country who experimented with this technology
has rejected it."

Radio k4ia
"Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA