Re: [TowerTalk] Modelling a basic stack

To: N4CW@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modelling a basic stack
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 19:58:52 -0400
At 06:11 PM 5/9/2004, N4CW@aol.com wrote:

I've never modelled a stack before. I have successfully modelled yagis, and
in this case, I want to model a stack of two Cushcraft A50-5S yagis, spaced 1/2
wavelength apart, with the lower yagi being 40 feet over real ground.

I'd appreciate being guided to some good references regarding stacking before
I get in too deep :~)

This really isn't tough, Bert -- all the usual programs will model a stack like this just fine. I suspect you will find that 1/2 wavelength is a little close for optimum forward gain. You can build models of these antennas in any modeling program that incorporates taper corrections, simply by entering the length and diameter of each step in each element. Feed the two sources in phase and you're home free.

I've done a lot of stack modeling, so if you run into specific issues please let me know and I'll try to help.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004
2706 contest stations at