RE: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip

To: K7LXC@aol.com, ve5ra@sasktel.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:49:55 -0400
   For a small diameter piece of tubing, a large quantity of rivets is not
required.  The purposes for multiple rivets are:

-- reduce degrees of freedom for movement between the two pieces of tubing.  As
K7LXC pointed out, this can be done by placing the
rivet(s) at one or two locations around the circumference of the tubing.

-- increased shear and strain resistance.  This is the purpose of multiple
rivets (and rivets of larger diameter) in larger pieces
of work.

   Since we are not dealing with large tubing where shear or stain forces are
large, it would be adequate to place three rivets
around the circumference.

   Additional suggestion:  By staggering the distances of the rivets from the
end of the larger piece of tubing (i.e., locating the
rivets in a spiral), one avoids (a) having the holes too close together and
weakening the material, and (b) collisions inside the
smaller tubing between the internal pieces of the pop-rivets.

   For example, one could place a rivet 2cm from the tip on the top of the
element... another rivet 3cm from the tip on the lower
lower face (120 degrees around the circumference)... and a third rivet 4cm from
the tip on the rear lower face (240 degrees around
the circumference).  If more joint strength is needed, one can continue the
spiral with additional rivets.

-- Eric K3NA