Re: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas

To: <k1ttt@arrl.net>, <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 06:30:55 -0700

> so where does that leave us??? waiting for details to pick apart.  is it
> something revolutionary?  unlikely, but at least this one doesn't claim to
> rely on new physics that i have seen.  is it that much better than the
> best we have now?  unlikely, but we don't know what he claims to be
> measuring against yet.  am i interested?  unlikely, i have room for full
> size stuff and none of these compact designs has been shown to be better
> than full size antennas.  so until there are more details all we can do is
> speculate and waste time in the short summer antenna growing season.

I think the next thing, particularly for amateur antennas, is automatically
reconfigurable/self-adjusting antennas with more integration of the
radiating elements and the matching components.  We're creeping there with
SteppIR, and certainly auto-tuners have changed life for a lot of people,
and are now almost a standard piece of gear.

The next thing after that will be active phased arrays with multiple
transmitter/receiver chains.