Re: [TowerTalk] positioning Yagi with remote camera.

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] positioning Yagi with remote camera.
From: "VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:56:21 -0000
I usually bought a few every year at Dayton, whatever the current "bargain"
was.  Many are now color and wireless - just do a search on spy camera in
eBay etc.

This link to the VC360 model is similar to what I use.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=135&item=VC-360&type=store

The color types would usually need more light and don't exhibit the same
infrared sensitivity as the black and white types.

Another source of cameras are broken camcorders. Many times, the failure is
related to the tape mechanism, but the camera portion is fine.  With good
color response and high zoom ratios, they can be  pretty high end units but
when broken often come at a pretty low end price. But don't tell anyone,
there's a still a few on eBay I was looking at.....

The camcorders would need to be more weatherproofed for outdoor use and if
you wanted to aim one straight up, then I'd mount it horizontal and use a
mirror.  I had a camera outdoors in an unheated, but dry enclosure all last
winter and it behaved perfectly. Even the remote zoom worked fine at -40C!

73 Don
VE6JY