Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again
From: "Joe SUbich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:54:59 -0400 (EDT)
> However, I've often wondered why more hams don't use the trick that
> seems to be universal on the TV trucks with the pneumatic masts --
> they wind the coax around the mast instead of having a free-standing
> loop.

Unfortunately, all that winding around the mast is not rotation loop
(it's the way the mast extension is handeld).  The lines (actually
the "nycoil" conduit) are still attached firmly at the top/bottom of
the mast.  There are separate rotation loops for the RF cable going
to the microwave power amplifier (or transmitter) and the radio's
power/control cables.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK (who designed and built those trucks for several yeras)