RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Do you tell them?

To: "Jim Idelson" <k1ir@designet.com>,"TowerTalk Post" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Do you tell them?
From: "Michael Hatzakis K3MH" <k3mh@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:56:36 -0700
<<No permit

Don't leave any room for surprises.  New neighbor moves who hates antennas?
A peice of your antenna comes down and damages your house or your neighbors,
what do you tell your insurance?  City adopts a new ordinance on towers?
all these issues would keep me up at night.

>Do you tell your neighbors that you are going to put up a tower, or do you
just do it?<

Never told my neighbors.  Slowly told them more as I ran into them on the
street and was nice to them.  Frankly, without a CC&R or intervening
ordinance, it's really not their business.  After my MA550 base was dug I
walked over to a neighor who I had a good relationship with.  I asked him if
he saw any problems with putting up a tower where it was; he replied "if
you've got a permit for it, it's your property, it's your business what you
do with your property".  He went on, "besides, it looks a lot nicer than
that ugly dipole you up there before...!"  I am sure he regreted that
statement when my satellite array when up..!!!

Michael