Re: [TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please

To: <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please
From: "Larry Phipps" <larry@telepostinc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 03:28:40 -0400
I just ran a quick sweep of a 3el SteppIR model and the loss in the feedline
alone due to mismatch is about 4dB at 1 mHz out and 10dB at 5 mHz out. Add to
that the pattern loss and you're well over 10dB total out-of-band loss compared
to a LPDA. That might not seem like much, but 10dB lower interfering signal is
roughly 20dB lower distortion products. It all adds up.

I have a friend with a good sized LPDA at 100' who watches the bands on his
spectrum analyzer from time to time to check band activity and he reports sw
bdcst stations that hit -35 dBm. With a typical receiver with 3rd order IP of
+10 dBm and 10dB NF, that puts distortion products above the noise floor. With
local contest activity, it could be worse.

I'm not saying it should be a major design consideration, but taking into
account all the care that goes into some contest station designs, it's worth a
little consideration.

Here's a little trick for you SteppIR owners to try. Point your beam at WWV at
15 mHz with the antenna tuned for 15 mHz. Note the signal strength.  Now tune
it to 15m or 10m and see what the signal strength is. I'll bet it drops a
couple S-units.

Larry N8LP