RE: [TowerTalk] Ring-Rotors

To: <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Ring-Rotors
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:00:41 -0500
I have 3 TIC 1022's.  I think they are an excellent value.  Quality of the
components is first rate.  A friend of mine has owned one for 17 years and
is just now converting to the new digital control.  He is getting the
conversion directly from TIC General owner Carl Anderson.

Another friend chose to use a conventional rotator and swing arm.  This is a
much lower cost alternative but has a serious drawback.  The antenna boom is
attached at the end of the swing arm, so the torque vector applied to the
tower by antenna wind loading is multiplied by the swing arm length.  If a
typical Yagi is used, high winds could very well twist the tower enough to
cause collapse.  A workaround is to guy the tower just below the arm using a
torque arm stabilizer assembly.  This adds the expense of dual guys and, of
course, cost of the assembly mount.

BTW, for owners of older TIC Rings, you will be delighted to find that the
new model incorporates a reduced ring diameter that makes climbing around
the unit a lot easier.  For the 1022 mounted on Rohn 45, the ring protrudes
less than 4 inches outside the tower leg.  Multiple slave motors are still
an option for those really big beams.

Keith