Re: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:51:22 -0500
<<Also "to me" TIG welding is much more of an art than MIG, or stick welding
and a class on welding would be a good idea.It usually takes most people
quite a few hours before they can run a good horizontal bead/weld joining
two flat plates with any type of welding.>>

There is an art to TIG welding. We used it almost exclusively for small parts such as welding flat washers onto 3/4" square tubing. MIG welding is by far the easiest process to learn how to do. With stick welding the operator is required to make a "compound" move to complete the weld, move the stick along the seam and feed the stick into the weld at the same time. It's not easy to learn how to do well. With a good wire welder the wire feed takes care of feeding the weld metal into the weld.

The one shots are the best and least expensive way to join the ground rods and conductors. If you need a welder around the house get a MIG wirewelder. The smaller "home" versions can be had relatively inexpensively I really like the Lincoln Power Wave 455 pulse MIG welder I used to use when I was a production welder. You wouldn't like the $5500 price.

Good Luck.

-- R.Kevin Stover

Systems/Network Admin
Iowa Quality Beef L.L.C