Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton winches

To: Al Williams <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton winches
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:18:24 -0500
Fellow DXers:

I didn't have a seizure problem with my Fulton 1550, but several months ago in a high wind I decided to lower my TriEX WT51. As I started lowering it, I noticed the cable was going slack, but the tower wasn't lowering so I quickly took up the slack before the tower had a chance to
starting coming down without any supporting cable holding it. Apparently the wind had caused a bind in two of the sections that caused it to hang and not lower. I don't know how much cable I might have cranked off had I not noticed the slack and the winch suddenly crank down without tension. With the slakc I wasn't going to take any changes on two of the sections coming straight down.

Tom, WW5L

Al Williams wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Greer" <davidgreer73@yahoo.com>
73, N4KZ

After having my brother-in-law, the mechanical genius,
over for a July 4th cook-out, he determined the
winch's clutch had malfunctioned causing the winch
brake pads to seize. >

I have long wondered how the brake clutch works.  perhaps
you could get Mike to explain its operation.  Also what
exactly malfunctioned?  I have two Fulton winches, a k1550
which was supplied along with the "Triex" tower tilting
fixture from Paragon Mfg.  That winch complained so loudly
that I replaced it with their k2550 which is quiet and much
easier to crank.

BTW, Mike says he's not too impressed with the Fulton
boat winch on the tower and recommends we consider
installing a more heavy duty winch in the future.

Fulton's website does not classify any product as a
boat winch. They classify poultry winches, 1 & 2 speed
winches, worm gear, and automatic brake winches. The smallest listed is the k550 with only a 600 lb rating
vs the k1550 with its 1500 lb rating (which complained).
I have been concerned not with the brake seizing but instead suddenly losing its grip. Perhaps you can get
Mike to detail why he is not impressed with Fulton "boat" winch?

73 k7puc