[TowerTalk] Question on Hygain Rotor Problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Question on Hygain Rotor Problem
From: Ed Gray W0SD <w0sd@triotel.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:39:13 -0700
Need information on gears in TX2 rotors/Ham IV Please!

The final spur gears Item #112 or part number 5010700 are two gears that fit on a bushing and they drive the "ring gear" that is mated into the top bell housing that the antenna mast is clamped to.

The teeth on these two final spur gears have a very noticeable slant or angle, they definitely are not straight across. However the ring gear teeth appear to be straight. Definitely not the angle of the two final spur gears. I suspect they use two gears rather than one to permit more flexing but still maintain teeth meshing but would like to find out why from someone who really KNOWS.

My question is which way should the angle be on the spur gears? As the gears lay flat should they angle UP to the left or right. If I remember correctly I have them angling to the right.

I notice some "ring gears" have a little flange, maybe 1/32" on the top which would hold these final spur gears from going above the teeth in the "ring gear" I think these are the newer ring gears.

Now for the rest of the story!

With 5 tailtwistes and 5 Ham III and IV ( six in use right now) I have had some dealings with them but my recent two day episode reached new heights of frustration. A couple of years ago I got a used TX2. Rotating CW I could not hold the TX2 but rotating CCW I could stop it, not easily but I could stop it. After working on it a day and tearing it apart and putting it together several times I could not find the problem and I gave up without fixing it.

I decided a couple of days ago to tackle it again after fixing another TX2 that had broken spur gears. I replaced them but there still was a problem which I found to be a piece of a broken gear teeth in Item #108 which is the gear and pinion gear as one. It worked fine after that. So a tip is to check each the gear teeth for a piece of gear tooth left in it covered by grease.

Next I tackled the TX2 that has a lack of power going CCW that I had given up on a couple of years ago..

I suspected a problem with the CCW motor wiring or resistance in the wiring on the CCW side; however careful ohm meter checks showed everything to be fine. My next theory was that the gear train was binding one way but not the other; although I had a hard time believing that.. I had the gears apart and could find absolutely nothing wrong but that is when I noticed the pitch thing. I turned them over but it seemed to definitely lessen the torque CW and CCW. I suspect the pitch is to help keep the spur gear teeth to stay lined up in the ring gear but only a guess on my part. Can anyone tell me for sure what the deal is and which way the pitch should be?

Anyway I turned the gears back over and installed them the way they had been(the problem is that two years ago when I had it apart I did not notice this and might have turned them over then by accident so I don't really know how they came from the factory) I have not noticed this before but IF it makes a difference I probably always managed to put them back on the way I took them off.

I then decide to put in a different ring gear, one with the little bit of lip on it and low and behold I now have great torque both ways. I swear after 2 days of working on this thing and taking it apart and putting it together at least 15 times this is the only
thing I did that gave it good torque both CW and CCW.

My theory is that the spur gears were riding up on the ring gear and binding a bit dragging the torque down (May of been exaggerated by wear) so this small 1/32" flange prevented this. For some reason this was not happening going CW with the ring gear that did not have a flange.

Can anyone shed any light on this pitch thing on the spur gears???

Thanks,

73 Ed W0SD

--
Ed Gray