RE: [TowerTalk] Hole Digging Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Hole Digging Question
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:12:22 -0500
Assuming the 8 foot dimension is depth, that hole will require a fairly
large backhoe.  A good operator should be able to make the hole within a few
inches of your specification.  But you should measure as work progresses
just to be sure.

My tower base hole was dug by hand.  After this labor intensive task was
completed, a small excavator was rented to dig the guy anchor holes.  This
was my first experience operating this type of machine; the rental
salesperson assured me that I would be able to quickly learn to use the
joysick controls.  The first hole ended up much larger than needed, took 45
minutes, and a nearby tree lost some bark. <grin>  The next hole was much
closer to spec and took only 15 minutes.  The third was finished in 10
minutes.  The rental cost was under $300.  However, my estimate for concrete
was quite low and an extra 3 yards of concrete had to be ordered.

Keith