[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 19, Issue 78

To: ab2os@att.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 19, Issue 78
From: Jim OConnell <w9wu@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:59:55 -0500

AB2OS wrote:

5. Tower/mast/antenna height -- a clarification (Alan AB2OS)

Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:20:44 -0400
To:
towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>

The wording in my original message was my own. The relevant section of the ordinance is:

"Sec. 3A.04 Applicability.
A. New towers and antennas. All new towers and new antennas in the township shall be subject to this article, except as otherwise provided in this section.
B. Amateur radio station operators/receive only antennas; television antennas. This article shall not govern any tower, or the installation of any antenna:
(i) That is under seventy (70) feet in height; and
(ii) Is owned and operated by a federally-licensed amateur radio station or is used exclusively for receive only antennas for voice or television reception."

I take this to mean that no part of the installation may be more than 70' above grade.

Alan:
The ordinance contains an exception for amateur antennas under 70' above grade. Go and ask the Building Department whether you can add a short mast above your 70' tower height so that the antenna can be mounted. I expect that the Sec 3A.04 really is aimed a cell towers and may require a special use or variance for anything over the amateur exception. People writing ordinances always forget that towers usually come in 10' sections.

73, Jim O'Connell, W9WU ARRL VC