Re: [TowerTalk] Tower fault... Gunnar/Olson study...updated

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower fault... Gunnar/Olson study...updated
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:00:54 -0400
One thing not mentioned below is that the study refers to large towers (300'+),
not the usual ham radio towers...   so it may be of limited use to hams.   I
used a description/reference of it (not the whole thing) as part of my tower
building permit application 15 years ago.

ARRL members can get a copy (40 pages or so) through John Hennessee at ARRL -->
n1kb@arrl.org

          -- Tom

At 10:25 AM 7/26/2004, Pete Smith wrote:
>At 09:59 PM 7/25/2004, you wrote:
>
>>A few years ago, Steve, K7LXC mentioned something about the Gunnar-Olson
>>report on collapsing guyed towers.
>>
>>I need to procure a copy of that report.  Anyone have an idea as to where
>>that can be located?
>>
>>I need a copy of it ASAP.
>>
>>I'm not on the list...so please privately reply to my account at
>>towers@mre.com.
>

> From the list archive:
>

>[TowerTalk] guyed tower reference?
>
>from
>[<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2001-08//archives//cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfrom%3ASavageBR%40aol.com&idxname=Towertalk&sort=date%3Alate>SavageBR@aol.com]
>
>[<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2001-08//archives//cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=Towertalk&i=104.72b67de.289fe31b%40aol.com>Permanent
>
>Link][<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2001-08//archives//cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=Towertalk&m=2001-08&i=104.72b67de.289fe31b%40aol.com>Original]
>To: <<mailto:towertalk%40contesting.com>towertalk@contesting.com>
>Subject: [TowerTalk] guyed tower reference?
>From: <mailto:SavageBR%40aol.com>SavageBR@aol.com
>(<mailto:SavageBR%40aol.com>SavageBR@aol.com)
>Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:10:03 EDT
>
>Hi Len
>The only document and data I have found is a letter written to a Mr. Richard
>Ramirez at WHCT-TV in Hartford, CT. by Mr. Gunnar Olsen, Jr., P.A.,P.E.
>
>I obtained my copy from Tower Tech, PO Box 572, Woodinville, WA. 98072
>
>The letter is in draft form and discusses an engineering study performed by
>Mr. Olsen of a number of guyed towers that collapsed during the past 40
>years. The study indicates all of the debris from a standard multiguyed tower
>will fall within a circle with a radius which would not exceed 29 percent of
>the tower height. And, 95 percent of the debris falls within a 20.6 percent
>radius of the tower height.
>
>My copy of the letter is a multi generation copy that is readable but poor
>quality. You might find a better copy. However, if not I will be happy to
>mail you a copy of what I have. This letter was included with my application
>and satisfied, in part, the request of my Zoning Board and City Council.

=====
e-mail: k1ki@arrl.org   ARRL New England Division Director  http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444