Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew freestanding mast

To: "Terry" <tgw6ru@bak.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew freestanding mast
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:04:29 -0400
Are your talking about the one WD8RXP in Ithaca Michigan built?  That one is
in QST, from January 1987. Page 15.  It's also the cover. The title of the
article was "Mid-Michigan Skyhook".  It's not a mast, but it is a monster.

  The base is 120 feet tall with the bottom 20 foot section weighing 1 1/2
tons.  Each leg sets in 3 1/2 yards of  concrete.the entire top 80 feet
rotates, but only 60 feet extends above the top of the base.  The top
section is 3 feet on a side and tapers to 18 inches.  There is a mast above
that, but I've forgotten how far that extends above the 80 foot top.  The
rotor weights 2000# and set on a 1 inch thick steel plate at 100 feet.
There is a 5' diameter thrust bearing at 120 feet.

He had four 11 element Cushcraft 2-meter beams at 190 feet, 6-L KLM 15 meter
7-L 6-meter KLM, 8-L 10 meter home brew beam, 4-L 40 -meter KLM.  He
eventually went with stacked pair on 20, 15, and 10. I think he kept the 4-L
40.

Just John and his brother in-law WD8RZE (I think that was his call) put the
thing up by hand.
I shot a lot of photos of that thing being built.

John passed away a few years ago and the tower was up for sale on e-bay.  It
would have been available for just taking it down.  They had no bids and
ended up getting the power conpany to take it down for the material. The
beams went to the local club as I recall.

I shot the cover photo by laying flat on my back in the center of the tower
with Ken working 120 feet above me.

John welded and predrilled every piece of the tower. He even allowed for
stretch and shrinking due to the welding.  The amazing thing is he only had
to redrill *ONE* bolt hole and that was more of a reaming.

> Can anyone come up with the magazine and issue that featured the home brew
> Big Bertha tower a guy built himself ? My memory thinks he was in 0 land
???
> TNX MUCH,
> Terry W6RU

I hope that is the one you are thinking of.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com