[TowerTalk] Antenna Directivity

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Directivity
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:37:20 -0500
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:29:06 -0400, RICHARD BOYD wrote:

>Resulting in the conclusion we often hear, "You can't have too many
>antennas," meaning it's nice to be able to switch to different antennas to
>find the best one in the circumstance.

Yes.

A week or so ago, someone posted a wonderful treatise on something as
simple, yet complex, as how to drive a vertical stack of antennas on some
band. The issues were as varied as the distance to the other station, the
conditions of the ionosphere, the tropospheric conditions, surrounding noise,
etc. There was no single answer. Rather there were multiple VERY GOOD
answers, each of which was better for a given set of conditions. And, as I
recall, the author noted that he was set up to switch between them to take
advantage of conditions.

Some other examples. I live in RF noisy flatland -- a Chicago neighborhood
that is a mix between business and residential. A commuter train line is across
the street. My antennas are simple, have only modest directivity, and I don't
hear very well, but being able to switch between them in the middle of a QSO
or contest is a HUGE help.

My only 6m antenna is a horizontally polarized PAR loop that is advertised as
being pretty omni. I haven't measured it, but I suspect that it is. In about 8
months, I have worked 44 states and 192 grids on 6m with that antenna and
100 watts. A fair number of those grids have come from some direction other
than that of the major opening. That is, everyone is working into FL and AL,
and I'm working a guy in UT.  And by the way -- this simple rig has given me a
fair number of Aurora contacts.

Without question, the additional directivity of a beam on any of these bands
could help my receiving a lot. But simply switching between antennas with
modest directivity can help a lot.

Jim Brown  K9YC