Re: [TowerTalk] PVRC Mount Use

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Mike" <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PVRC Mount Use
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:44:51 -0400
Once an antenna has been assembled using a PVRC mount, what you
describe is fairly common. It allows the mount per se to be reused for
other jobs. It also reduces the leverage the antenna has to pull the
mast to one side as the PVRC mount moves the center of gravity away
from the mast.

But most of the large installations I have seen with PVRC mounts leave
them in place to facilitate repair.

One PVRC op I know, N4AF, who has been grazed or hit head-on by eight
hurricanes in as many years**, leaves the mounts up so he can remove
elements easily before the wind gets there, and put them back up
afterward.

His QTH in eastern NC is my all-time definition of "Hurricane Alley".
Howie also hosts the NY4A M/M efforts. He lost more towers and
antennas in Fran in '96 than in all the rest of the storms combined.

73, Guy

(PVRC since '63)

**
1996 Fran in Cary, NC