RE: [TowerTalk] Grid dip meter and Yagi elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Grid dip meter and Yagi elements
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:25:26 -0500
> I am assuming you guys talking about "grid dip meters" are not really
> talking about these old devices.  What is the modern equivalent?
> I have an
> MFJ 259B, for instance.  It is easy to get the resonant frequency
> of a yagi
> element split and insulated in the middle.  Can I use it to inductively
> couple to a continuous yagi element or otherwise determine that element's
> resonant frequency in any way?

Mark,

I've got a B&W grid dip meter which uses external coils of various sizes to
inductively couple with the 'load' in question.  It works great.  I've used
it a couple of times to evaluate the traps of Cushcraft A3's.  I found that
MFJ has (or had) an optional plug-in for the MFJ-259 which allows it to act
as a GDM.

I'll be happy to send you my plug-in and if you want to give it a try.

It didn't work worth beans when I was testing traps.

73,
dale, kg5u