Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection

To: K4FJ@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:10:10 -0500

Two comments from experience. Underground utilities are NOT a guarantee. I lost a computer and a phone to a hit that was to phone equipment over a mile away, with underground service to my house over that distance.
When I was on the local water board, I learned that most waterline repairs are to fix lightning damage to underground plastic pipes. This came home to me in 1990 when a hit in my yard, punched two holes in a plastic water line.