Re: [TowerTalk] UNR-Rohn Galvanized Guy Wire 6/20

To: "Rizia Cruz" <RCruz@miyamotointernational.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UNR-Rohn Galvanized Guy Wire 6/20
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 11:56:29 -0400
The 6/20 means the cable consists of 6 individual strands of #20 wire.
However you need to know the what kind of steel to know the strength.

Radio Shack sells a cable similar to that and it is very soft with little
strength.  I used to use them for temporary guys until three of us were
standing a 40 foot (4 sections) and unknowing caught one of the heavier RS
guy wires and _pulled_it_in_two.  After that I don't even use the RS guy
wires for temporary guys. I go down to the local hardware store and purchase
1/8th or 3/16ths inch wire rope for temporary guys.  That is available in
galvanized, is strong, lasts a long time, is flexible, and it's more
difficult to put kinks in than the RS stuff.

Unless the system is exposed to very high winds, it has a very large
antenna, or the base sits on rock a normal ham system 30 feet tall requires
"minimal" guying. Of course it depends on the individual situation and
location as in the above.

With good anchors the 3/16ths inch galvanized wire rope makes excellent guys
for small to medium loads. EHS it's not, but it's far easier to work with.

Good Luck,

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Please, I need to know what the 6/20 means. This is for an engineering
project for a 30' antenna installation. I would lke to know the diameter
and tensile strength of this wire.
Thank you,
Rizia Cruz
Engineering Intern