[TowerTalk] AB577/GR TOWER INFO

To: darruzza@adelphia.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] AB577/GR TOWER INFO
From: Bob Allen <mcamp@gmavt.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:46:35 -0400
Dave,
Our club owns 2 of them that we use for Field Day, we are 2A and run one tower with a 20meter yagi just above the top of the ab577 and a 15 meter yagi 9 ft above it on a 1 5/8" od pipe (fencing pipe) that goes in the original mast top fitting with 2-3' a piece of 1.9" pipe as a spacer. this setup stood 40-50 mph winds this year ! A tree limb even came down and hit a guy wire, the report I got from that was the tower shook a little when the limb hit.
The other tower has has a Mosley TA-33m (senior- tribander 10-15-20m) on it with 9' ft. of pipe holding up the spreader for our delta loop. This tower didn't even quiver during the blow.
The biggest issue we have is looseness in the joints that makes erecting these difficult and I fixed it by making .005"T shims for the the joint and that problem was cured.
Note that the Yagi we use are fair sized 14-20" booms and 15-28' elements, all three element, on the 15-20m tower that is a fair wind load and with the 15m up 9' there is quite a lever arm on the top of the mast but it worked fine.
Don't break the winch as they are hard to get.
BTW cost to the Gov. $15000, remember it's not their money.
Brag line: we finish in the top 10 at FD a lot, call W1NVT .
Hope this helps
Bob
KB1FRW
73

darruzza@adelphia.net wrote:

Bob,
No problem. I also have a ab577 tower. I have not used it yet but it's a beauty. Probably cost the us gov. $5,000 new. Do you have a 577? If so what do you have on top of it and have you had any problems with it?

73 Dave W1CTN