Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000SDX

To: "Manuel Larsson\"Teknik forumet\"" <manuel@limmared.nu>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000SDX
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:57:49 -0500
Manuel, SM6TMR, asks:

>I am trying to trouble shoot a Yaesu G-1000SDX rotator.

>The rotor box gets no reading on the direction indicator.
>Can anyone tell me which pins I should check to see if the variable
resistor is working or not?

>Any common fail modes for this type of problem on this rotator?

Pins 1, 2, and 3 connect to the potentiometer in the rotor. Pin numbers on
the control box and the rotor are the same.  Pin 3 is ground, and pin 2 is
the wiper. The potentiometer is 500 ohms. On my 800SDX (which should be
similar to your 1000SDX since they have the same manual and schematic) the
resistance between pins 2 and 3 varies from 14 ohms at 180 degrees to 396
ohms at 270 degrees (zero degrees is North), a full 450 degree clockwise
rotation.  You should see approximately 500 ohms from 1-3.

Of course you should check the cable and connectors for breaks. My
experience is that the cable connector at the rotor is poorly
weatherproofed, and that the rubber boot is insufficient to prevent moisture
and other things from entering the backshell of the connector. This is more
likely to produce a short than an open (mine was shorted by moist insect
parts). After I cleaned it thoroughly and verified the resistance readings,
I filled the backshell with vaseline and used coax wrap over the rubber
boot. I have had no more problems.

Good Luck!

Chuck, N4NM