RE: [TowerTalk] Operating in Canada (off topic)

To: davec@netdave.com, 'Tower Talk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Operating in Canada (off topic)
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 23:03:54 -0400
At 10:38 PM 9/3/2004, Dave Cook wrote:

>I was really looking for a short and sweet answer on this, but there have
>been suggestions that I must obtain an IARP (International Amateur Radio
>Permit). The only source of information on how to obtain this that I've
>found so far is to submit a bunch of paperwork to the ARRL along with a $10
>bill (or $20 for expedited service).

You don't need an IARP in Canada.   Just take a copy of your FCC license with
you.

>My first reaction to this is that is
>smacks a bit of the ARRL's license renewal service, where you can give them
>some money to renew your license for you. This bothers me because I just
>renewed my license this year for free on the FCC's Web site.

The ARRL's license renewal service is free to ARRL members (like you).  Heck,
we even send out the paperwork to you about 90 days before the expiration date.
  I think we will do it for non members for a fee.

>The other issue is, is an IARP *really* necessary to operate in Canada, or
>is it just a convenience for operating in any CITEL country. According to
>this <http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm>, it's not. Furthermore, I wound
>up at the Industry Canada Web site and found "RIC-3 - Information on the
>Amateur Radio Service",  Section 5.1 titled "Convention between Canada and
>the United States of America". To quote,
>
>"Visiting amateurs are not required to register or receive a permit before
>operating their amateur radio stations.
>
>Each amateur station shall indicate at least once during each contact with
>another station its geographical location as nearly as possible by city and
>state or city and province.
>
>The amateur station shall be operated in accordance with the laws and
>regulations of the country in which the station is temporarily located."
>
>It goes on further, here's the URL if you're interested:
>http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf01777e.html#conve
>ntion
>
>I think this pretty well sums it up for me. I may go ahead and apply for an
>IARP if I can do it without the ARRL's "assistance", i.e. directly through
>the FCC myself.

Nope, The IARP is available via ARRL not the FCC.

>But it sure appears to me that an IARP is not required for
>temporary operation in Canada.

Correct.    If you go to the ARRL list of country information:
    http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/recip-country.html
Looks under Canada, and select "US Hams" - we point you to the info on the
Radio Amateurs of Canada web site:
    http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm
All the info you need is there.

>Since my trip is coming up in just a couple
>of weeks, it seems unlikely that all the paperwork for an IARP would get
>through the system anyway.

Those who need an IARP can get it within a week or so.

>My apologies for this totally off-topic discussion. But I hope this helps
>some other folks who are interested in this information.

    73 Tom

=====
e-mail: k1ki@arrl.org   ARRL New England Division Director  http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444