[TowerTalk] Questions about radials

To: TowerTalk Post <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Questions about radials
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:40:00 -0400
The March/April 2004 issue of NCJ has a great article by Al Christman, K3LC, on
optimizing the number and length of radials given the amount of wire available
and the type of soil in which the radial field will be placed. I have a few
questions.

1.  The dependence on soil type is quite significant, so I need to take a stab
at determining my soil characteristics before doing the radial project this
afternoon.
Here are the choices from the K3LC article:

Very Poor soil: Conductivity = 0.001 Siemens/meter and relative permittivity =
5
Average  soil: Conductivity = 0.005 Siemens/meter and relative permittivity =
13
Very Good soil: Conductivity = 0.0303 Siemens/meter and relative permittivity =
20

I am in New England and the radial field will be over a wetlands area with lots
of tall pines and oaks. The soil is covered with leaves and varies dry/muddy
over the course of the year. What soil type would be a good estimate for this
purpose?

2.  I will be laying the radials on the surface of the ground, not burying
them. What effect will this have on the whole analysis? Is it still valid? If
so, how would the numbers change?

3.  What about insulated wire versus uninsulated? Does it matter?

Please reply direct. And copy the reflector, if you like. Thanks.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir