Re: [TowerTalk] followup question on verticals in trees

To: RICHARD BOYD <ke3q@msn.com>,towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] followup question on verticals in trees
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:11:31 -0500

Tulip Poplars are very prevalent in my area; I have hundreds. Locally they are logged for lumber for furniture frames, and shipped to the North Carolina Furniture factories..
I see one drawback to the Poplar as antenna supports; They are prone to lightning strikes. I have many with evidence of "hits". After a lightning strike, the tree will frequently fork above the hit, or develop an "S" shaped growth pattern. There is also, frequently, a strip of bark that has been peeled off by the heat from the strike.
Your area may not be as prone to lightning as ours, so this may not be a problem.
Good luck- Bill