Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals in trees

To: <jimjarvis@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals in trees
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:22:26 -0400
.
> In Vermont, I had 140-150' high white pines.  Shooting
rope over them tended to keep the vertical portion of the
antenna 10-20' away from the trunk.  I routinely put up
non-directional antennas with 4 elevated radials, and found
them quite functional.   Seldom got beaten in pileups,
except by directional systems.

This is the interesting part about non- A/B tests.

Four elevated radials close to ground measure to be 4-6dB
weaker than 60 radials on the ground.

If we can't tell 5dB or so, how can we tell what the trees
do?

As another example, I can beat many stations, if not nearly
all, in pileups on 40 meters. Not with my 3ele Yagi, but
with my mobile antenna on my truck. What does it prove?
Nothing, except how bad some other antennas are or how much
better my propagation is.

73 Tom